Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuff Christians Like

Ok, so a friend recommended this book and a blog that Jonathan Acuff publishes. I've now read about 50 pages of this little satirical book and hate to admit that I kind of like it. I know. It makes fun of some pretty serious stuff, but I think perhaps it is ok, and perhaps we need to know just how insider we church folks tend to be. I saw the cover and laughed, and cried. The awkward side hug. Last year we had several foreign exchange students join our youth group. Two from Germany and one from Israel. After a month or so I felt comfortable enough to hug them, they being girls and all. I did the awkward side hug and the expressions on their faces spoke louder than anything. Our cultures just clashed and they didn't have a clue what I'd just done. I think someone explained it to them later because the got pretty adept at giving the side hug. They left last week and gave me a real German and Israeli hug. I hope I don't get fired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment