Thursday, September 15, 2011

Here is your coupon!

I was hungry and focused on getting my sandwich from the local deli. I stepped out of my car and was approached by a little girl and her brother. No older than 7 or 8. They were armed with coupons for a discount at their mom's business. "Sir, would you like a coupon that will give you a discount?" I smiled. They were determined to accomplish what they had been asked to do. I leaned down, looked over the coupon and said, I would love to but I don't think I will be needing a Salon Style Haircut. I pointed up, smiled again and looked into her eyes. A little disappointed at first then a big smile came over her face. She politely said, "thank you" and walked back to the front of the Salon.

It left me thinking about their determination and focus. Just their willingness to speak to a man about getting a "Salon Style Haircut" was pretty impressive. Talking to a man with a haircut similar to this basketball was bold!

I read a story recently about Jonathan and the young man carrying his gear. Facing a hopeless situation Jonathan stated, "the LORD is able to do this great thing with a bunch or people or with just a couple." He was focused, not on the odds, but on the capabilities of his LORD. He couldn't loose, regardless of the outcome.
(for the story see 1 Samuel 14)

We all face huge battles everyday. Events and situations in which others seem more in control and determined to defeat you. And situations and events in which our own flaws seem to rule the day. How do you approach your day? Here are a couple of ideas I am trying. Nothing new, but good reminders.

First, Focus on the LORD of that situation and not the situation itself. Easier said that done sometimes, but constantly remind yourself to look upward. Know that God is able to prevail in this situation.

Second, have faithful people around you. "Do all that is in your heart," was the reply of the young man in the story. He knew that Jonathan honestly sought the LORD's glory and not his own. Let people speak into your life, honestly. Both supportive words and the hard constructive words. Easier said than done, again.

What battles are at your doorstep? Do you see the battle only? Can you refocus on some One bigger than the battle you face? Try giving coupons for a haircut to a bald guy. Big task, bigger God.

No comments:

Post a Comment